What exactly is Shit I Didn’t Know?
Shit I Didn’t Know, or SIDK for short, is a journey through the portal. Together. With radical open-mindedness.
Umm…what the fart does that mean?
A few years ago, I started a process of re-learning. Re-learning the things I thought I knew.
As that process evolved, I realized that most of what I “knew” was pretty much wrong. It dawned on me that, for much of my life, I’d let other people do the research for me.
From their research, I’d created many opinions – some of which turned into beliefs. The foundation of many of my beliefs were built upon shaky ground – for instance, the idea that when you zoom in on matter down to the smallest scales, it is solid. Nope, that’s not really how it works.
So I’d like for you to join me as I re-learn my way through the universe. Hopefully you’ll learn some things along the way too! In an effort to stay as open-minded as possible, I’m going to explore some weird topics, while hopefully maintaining a degree of rationality (but TBD on that):
No topics are off the table. I’ll talk about quantum physics, mushrooms, nutrition, economics, and anything else that ignites my neurons.
Sounds weird…who are you?
What the critics are saying:
TP & SIDK are like a shittier version of Tim Urban & Wait But Why.
The key to enjoying SIDK is low expectations.
It was weird, but I think I liked it.
What’s the point of all of this?
Hopefully, reading SIDK will do the same thing for you that it does for me – each and every day SIDK reminds me that I don’t know nearly as much as I think I do, and the more I learn, the more clueless I realize I am.
So, if you’re up for it, I’d love for you to join me on this journey.subscribe
I’ve also put together a few good starter articles for you on SIDK and a list of non-SIDK recommendations that hopefully you’ll find are, as Terence McKenna would say, rational in confrontation with the weird edges:
- Quantum Entanglement Is F*cking Nuts
- Can Mushrooms Cure Alzheimer's?
- The Biggest Financial Risk You've Never Heard Of
- Pensions: A Crack in the Machine
- Antifragile - Nicholas Nassim TalebIf you've never read Antifragile or heard of Nassim Taleb, you must get this book. If there's one book on this list that everyone needs to read, it's this one. Taleb even invented the word 'Antifragile'.
- The Fourth Turning – Neil Howe & William StraussThink things are crazy in the world right now? This book helps make sense of what's happening because they saw it coming.
- Man's Search For Meaning - Victor FranklWhen I first picked up Man's Search For Meaning, I knew it was about Nazis, concentration camps, and finding meaning. However, it is so much more. If you're trying to figure out what to do with your life or how to find meaning in your life, read this.
- How to Change Your Mind - Michael PollanIf you've never read anything about psychedelics (other than on SIDK), start with this book. It's a narrative of Michael Pollan taking his first *real* trips on psychedelics and his immense amount of research along the way.
- Brave New World - Aldous HuxleyAldous Huxley is a fantastic author, whose predictions over the years have become eerily true. It's the kind of book everyone should re-read occasionally to remind ourselves that government control isn't always exerted through guns.
- Hunter S. Thompson’s Letter on Finding Your Purpose and Living a Meaningful LifeHunter S. Thompson is a brilliant wild-man.
- Modeling Bitcoin's Value with ScarcityPredicting the rise of Bitcoin using Stock-to-Flow analysis.
- Elon Musk: World's Raddest Man – Tim UrbanHonestly everything by Tim Urban is 🔥, so check out any article on waitbutwhy.com.
- To Pay Attention, the Brain Uses Filters, Not a SpotlightA little brain-breakdown for those interested.
- Scientists Discover That The Heart & Brain Respond To Future Events – Before They HappenDo our bodies know what is going to happen in the immediate future, before we do?
- I, PencilLeonard’s main point—economies can hardly be “planned” when not one soul possesses all the know-how and skills to produce a simple pencil—unfolds in the enchanting words of a pencil itself
- The Intelligent Plant – Michael PollanThis one will change the way you view the the tree in your yard.
- Peter Thiel's Religion – David PerellAn interesting perspective on a man I believe to be one of the most intelligent leaders in the world today.
- The Egg by Andy Weir – KurzgesagtA beautiful story with an equally as beautiful animation.
- Eric Weinstein & Peter ThielTwo of the most intelligent people I've ever heard talk for 3 hours.
- I, Pet Goat, IIA lot of symbolism in here...
- Trace Mayer (Bitcoin OG) on Claiming Your Monetary Sovereignty with BitcoinTrace Mayer thinks about money and freedom in a different way than most. This changed the way I thought about money.
- IN-SHADOW: A Modern OdysseyNo tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. -Carl Jung
- Spirit Science – Astral ProjectionSpirit Science has a fun video on Astral Projection, which is pretty similar to lucid dreaming.
- Graham Hancock – War on ConsciousnessGraham Hancock takes another look at science's relationship with consciousness and the battle to control your mind.
- Terence McKenna – True HallucinationsWeird and awesome.
- After Skool: Joe Rogan + Paul StametsAfter Skool has short, animated videos about interesting concepts. This one is about the Stoned Ape Theory.
- Joe Rogan + Edward SnowdenJoe Rogan and Edward Snowden jam out about privacy.
If you’d like to get in touch email me: